Rural Summit 2024 aims to address the unique challenges and opportunities encountered in our rural areas. Some background information on this Summit is found HERE.

A Rural Summit 2024 survey has been gather insights from rural communities. Your participation is important as it will help shape the content and focus of our ward-specific workshop scheduled for 1 June. This workshop will provide an opportunity for in-depth discussions on local issues and brainstorming solutions.

The outcomes of these ward workshops will be integral in shaping the agenda for the Rural Summit 2024, slated for November. Your input will directly contribute to the development of strategies aimed at enhancing the well-being and prosperity of our rural communities.

Your opinion matters. Please take a few moments to complete the survey using the link:


Contact us at:

Join our Mail List at:

   Keep informed on Engage.Ottawa at:


The main building of the  Community Centre has been the centre of Galetta's Community activity since the early 1900s.  Formerly called  Russell's Hall ( originally Whyte's Hall), it was located on Main Street ( now Galetta Side Road). The hall hosted dancing classes, concerts, banquets and euchre parties. Especially during the Depression years, young people gathered there for an evening of entertainment provided by local talent.

In 1987 Russell Hall was moved to the present location in Russell Park, at 119 Darwin St. An extension was added to the main building to accommodate additional facilities. The Donald MacHardy Lawn Bowling Greens were established in 1992 and the Rink & Sport Centre were completed in 2000.



The Donald MacHardy Lawn Bowling Greens were established in 1992 and appropriately bear the name of the local resident who was the driving force behind its concept and construction.
Comprising eight lanes, the club draws its membership from a broad community that extends well beyond Galetta's boundaries. The club has a very active recreational and competitive program as well as social activities throughout the season.



The Morris Island Conservation Area is located along the Ottawa River near the community of Vydon Acres. This 47 hectare site consists of forested woodlands and wetlands that appeal to nature enthusiasts of all ages.

Opportunities for day-use include recreational activities such as hiking, picnicking, canoeing, fishing and natural interpretation.

Accessible facilities for the physically challenged include nature trails, fishing platforms, washrooms and picnic areas. Canoeing is only permitted within the bay areas of the island due to water level fluctuations from the nearby hydro dam.

The Mississippi Valley Conservation Authority manages the site. It is open to the public year-round, however, some of the facilities are not operational during the winter months.


To see a map of the Conservation Area, go HERE

For more details, go HERE



Galetta's hydroelectric dam was built in the early 1900s by Moran and Brennan from Arnprior. The Galetta Electric Company supplied Arnprior with power starting in 1907. This Galetta generating station was also original the source of power for the operation of the Kingdon Mine.

Electricity became available for the village after 1914 when the company was taken over by Ontario Hydro. Ontario Hydro subsequently closed down the Galetta operations after the construction of the Chats Falls dam and generating station was completed in 1931. After several years of closure, it was re-opened by a private company.  Canadian Hydro purchased the company in 1998. Since then the generators and controls have been upgraded and the plant now provides 'renewable energy source' electricity to the Ontario Hydro grid.




The Morris Island area has a long history of mineral deposits. It was believed that the First Nations knew of copper in the area and early French explorers identified minerals possibly as early as 1743. Several attempts were made to work these deposits and a formal mine operated briefly in the mid-1880s. Operations ceased shortly thereafter when all buildings and equipment were destroyed by fire.
The mine was not operated on any large scale until it was re-activated in 1914 to meet the demand for lead during WW I. The mine then operated continually and the lead ore was smelted on site until it was closed in 1931. During its 47 years of operation, Kingdon Mine became the largest lead mine and smelter in Canada. It is estimated that 60 million pounds of lead was extracted. At its peak, the mine employed 600 people and 250 families lived in the Village of Kingdon Mines.
Today, other than the foundations of the mine buildings, the only immediate evidence of the former mine is the massive tailings just north of the hydro transmission lines [see air photo HERE]. These tailings were used locally for some time as an aggregate until the elevated levels of lead caused health concerns.


The Wallace family has resided in Galetta for some 50 years. Their property on the main street (Galetta Side Road at the intersection with Mohrs Road) is notable to passers-by for the large model of the CN tower as well as their garden that contains a miniature of the Galetta train station with a miniature train and a short section of track.

It is interesting to note that the Wallace garden is in the original location Whyte's Hall (later Russell's Hall). This hall was the centre of community life in Galetta starting in the early 1900s. The Wallaces purchased the lot when the hall was moved to Russell Park in 1987 to be the main building for the new Community Centre.